Alter Bridge 'Walk the Sky' - Album Review

Melodies, Guitars and Hypnosis

'Walk the Sky' marks the sixth studio album by heavy rock band Alter Bridge following 2016's 'The Last Hero', and it certainly confirms that their work ethic is far from slowing down. Since the release of their debut 'One Day Remains' in 2004, they've consistently released new material every three years without fail. Considering that Mark Tremonti and Myles Kennedy have also released several more albums with various other projects on top of that, this makes Alter Bridge's track record remarkable, especially as the standards of those albums have been just as consistent. Where their debut really set the ball rolling for what will come, to me it's 'Blackbird' where they really found themselves and their sense of style, and each album since has been a variation of that sound, 'Fortress' being my personal favorite.

So is 'Walk the Sky' up to par with albums like 'Blackbird' or 'Fortress'? Well, the short answer is, yes, very much so. This is by far one of the most interesting album's they've recorded so far, and with each listen my opinions and preferences change, it's definitely an album that requires more than a couple run through's. The singles don't particularly do the entire album justice, as it's hard to pinpoint any specific stand outs to me, not because the album is sub-par or the tracks unimpressive, it's quite the opposite. As I said, with each listen my preferences change, creating new standouts each time, which is really cool, it keeps me interested and keeps me listening.

At first, I very much enjoyed the album, but thought it just needed one or two more heavier songs. I felt that it just needed an extra punch, and lacked some of the heavier tracks that made people fall in love with Alter Bridge. But overall, I still believed it was up to par with their best material and a very good album. It's tone is very different to their previous work, but their signature style is certainly still there. Sonically the album has a very uplifting and upbeat vibe to it, which contrasts wonderfully with many of the darker lyrics and melodies. Tracks like 'Falling Forever' and 'Clear Horizon', two songs with beautiful guitar melodies and hypnotic vocal lines, while again diving deep down into the darkness with lyrics like; "Relapse Regression / Return Remission / Give in and Fail Again/ Fall into Madness".

However, where my first run through was far more casual, my further listens were more focused, really listening to each element of the music, after which I found that my original critique, that the album needed more heavier songs, had completely disappeared. In hindsight, I found that this album has a rich supply of blisteringly heavy riffs, soaring solos and pounding rhythms. Like I said before, this album requires multiple listens, and each time it seems to grow on me more and more. Tracks like 'Falling Forever', 'Pay No Mind', 'Indoctrination', and 'Native Son', each ooze pure heavy metal, and at times the guitar work almost sounds like progressive metal. While songs such as 'Godspeed', 'Take the Crown' and 'In the Deep' not only carry heavy undertones, both musically and lyrically, but are also just incredibly catchy, again keeping up with some of the more uplifting musical elements.

As expected, with their ongoing collaboration with producer/engineer Mike 'Elvis' Baskette, the production for this album is superb. The drums echo and pound through the speakers with such intensity and precision, while the guitar and bass work completely engulfs you as the vocals soar over it all. It's definitely one to annoy the neighbors. It really captures the tone between the uplifting and darkness incredibly well, making for a more unique sounding album compared to some of their previous material. Tremonti and Kennedy also create some truly memorizing guitar work, from beautiful chord progressions, to pounding, hard hitting riffs, and goose-bump inducing solos, it really sinks it's claws into you. And if that doesn't hook you, Kennedy's singing voice and melody lines are incredibly hypnotic, seducing you with his creative lyrics and epic choruses.

Overall, this is a truly entrancing album from start to finish, and that is how I recommend it should be listened to, from start to finish. I can't recommend any 'one' track, I insist you instead listen through the entire thing multiple times to get the ultimate experience. I can safely say now, after many listens that this album is absolutely fucking killer, and it really does stand up to their previous works. Although 'Fortress' and 'Blackbird' may still be my personal favorites, this album I feel has surpassed 'The Last Hero', 'One Day Remains' and 'AB III', I highly recommend a listen. In my mind 'Walk the Sky' is one of the most hypnotic and interesting albums I've heard this year.

Track Listing:
One Life
Wouldn't You Rather
In the Deep
Godspeed
Native Son
Take the Crown
Indoctrination
The Bitter End
Pay No Mind
Forever Falling
Clear Horizon
Walking on the Sky
Tear Us Apart
Dying Light



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Religion Clashes with Heavy Metal Again!

Vaccination Required Concerts

The Pretty Reckless 'Death by Rock and Roll' - Album Review